Monday 25 June 2012

Night Trauma

25th June 2012, 0200 hrs,  Raymond sustained a Grande Mal Epileptic Seizure.
I woke up beside him as he thrashed and groaned.
I thought he was having a nightmare.
Reassuring, and trying to calm him had no effect, so I got out of bed and went around to his bedside.
His mouth was clenched tightly, and he ground his teeth.

Symptoms of this kind of seizure are:
Violent body contractions, loss of consciousness, a pause in breathing, urinary incontinence, tongue or cheek biting, and confusion and weakness following the event. Tiredness similar to having walked 100 miles.

Ray suffered no incontinence, however, he did have all of the other symptoms.
I stabilized him, took the pillow out from under his head and placed him in the unconscious position to facilitate breathing. At first he was snoring, then he paused, and stopped breathing. After a deep breath he commenced breathing again with a rapid intake of air. Snoring followed.
I quickly opened the windows and put the ceiling fan on, to help with O2 intake.
I then phoned 000 and rushed to turn the outside light on, and leave the front door open for entry.
The paramedics arrived in about ten minutes.
Rays blood pressure was elevated at first and then dropped back to normal.
Blood Sugar Level normal.
O2 blood oxygen sats 95%
Temperature normal.

Ray was taken to the local hospital and after observations, since he was still confused, he was admitted to a ward upstairs.
G.C.S below average with limb weakness. Eye's reacting, pupils size 3.
He had no recollection of day, month, season, Prime Minister of Australia's name.
He had no recollection of what happened, or the paramedics taking him out to their truck.
Ray was kept in hospital all day and allowed home the day after.
His C.T. scan of the head was normal.
He is to attend his personal physician and receive private care.

Almost two days later, he couldn't remember how to say Grace before his meal.
He hasn't talked very much, and is distressed at times about his lack of memory.



  A cause of seizures can be Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
CLICK ON LINK BELOW:   
Under the heading: WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS THAT MAY DEVELOPE?

* *  ADD ON:  Ray saw his doctor. He has an appointment to see a Neurologist.
                          As yet we have not been given the date. I pray it is soon.

14 comments:

  1. so sorry to hear of these terrifying effects of PTSD. God bless and keep you both. Hugs. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know, Crystal, I'm still prating. There's nothing else I CAN do from half a world away, but my heart is with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still praying to Crystal, I too wish we weren't so far a part in distance...My heart hurts for you and him..May God Surround you with his peace and love..and give you strength..Love, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are Praying for you Ray
    & Crystal Mary...
    our hearts are with you!
    Blessings
    *Bill & kare

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh hon! I am so glad you knew just what to do!! Continuing to pray for Ray and you.

    Sister you are so strong. I am praying that God will come in and fill you up with His peace, love and comfort.

    Hugs and love,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all so much. I broke down and cried when I read so much love and care in your replies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,

    I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could email me?

    I look forward to hearing from you,

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Doug, I don't know your email. Mine is faithicu@gmail.com.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for dropping a line of comment on mine--
    for if you had not, I might not be here, reading these
    so sad, so true, so 'wonderful' stories of heroes, of their valiant families.

    I do not know how to respond, except to thank you for your honesty, and your work for God. he really needs Peeps like you, because Peeps like me do not always understand Him (God), and he can give you those words which convey His message
    Brava
    PEACE!

    ReplyDelete

I am very interested to hear your comments, both in regards to the Veitnam War and to the V.A.'s handling of veteran's compensation. Thank you.